Flemington, PA

The West Branch Canal at Flemington, PA
By Stephen F. Miller Jr.



Canal Tow Path, Circa 1910, Flemington, PA

 

The West Branch Canal, part of the Pennsylvania Canal System, was authorized by the Pennsylvania Legislature on March 24, 1828.  After six years of digging, the dam on the Susquehanna and the final section of the canal was finished.  The first canal boat passed through the locks in October 1834.

Area farmers and lumbermen brought their goods for shipment on the canal.   While goods such as flour, animal feed and lumber goods were shipped from the area, return canal traffic brought the necessities such as dry goods, coffee and coal.

The Philadelphia and Erie Railroad bought out the Pennsylvania Canal System in 1858.   The Philadelphia and Erie Railroad finished their line into Lock Haven in 1859.  

Following damage from a disastrous state-wide flood in 1889, along with eroding  canal traffic, the Pennsylvania Railroad abandoned the entire Pennsylvania Canal System. 

 


Canoe Livery on the Canal, Circa 1910, Flemington, PA


- back to www.ncpenn.com  -

 

Copyright 1999-2001, WWW.NCPENN.COM   
All code and content the property of Stephen F. Miller Jr. unless specifically stated.  
  Re-use of content is strictly by permission only!!
Send Comments, Additions & Suggestions to  COMMENTS@NCPENN.COM